Monday 24 September 2018

Monte Café, hiking on São Tomé

 
During one of the days I spent in the town of Sao Tome, I was looking for a route to walk in order to do a day half-day tour. For sure going to Monte Café by car would be a quick trip, most likely even a stop on the way to somewhere else but I decided to walk there making it my main destination and at the same time get to see a bit of village life on the way passing through some other towns such as Trindade.

Walking on São Tomé is quite decent, the traffic is not too heavy and not particularly fast so even walking on the main roads is fine. What surprised me though on the way was the number of people who thought I would prefer not to walk and stopped to ask me where they could drive me, if I wanted to jump on until the next town etc.

The village of Monte Café was founded around a coffee warehouse, and since 2008 there is a museum here (supported by UNDP) dedicated to coffee making. I did have two cups of coffee there before heading back to the capital again. Below would be the impressions of this 14km walk to Monte Café.
The main road between the capital and Monte Café, EN3

The route from Mercado Municipal to Monte Café via Trindade

Stalls along the main road
Shoppers just outside Trindade

The view from the Church in Trindade
Seems to be related to my country, kinder garden Olof Palme
The approach to the village of Monte Café



Monte Café
View from the veranda of the coffee museum, Monte Café, São Tomé
Monte Café, São Tomé
Monte Café, São Tomé
Monte Café, São Tomé


Coffee Warehouse, Monte Café, São Tomé

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cairo to Alexandria, day trip by train

While visiting Cairo in late 2018 I wanted to make a day trip to Alexandria to spend a few hours there taking in the sights and also eating ...